My Chicken Cream Wok

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Comments
Hungry, don't have a lot of time and want something tasty? Then you should try this super simple dish! I got it from a friend who again had gotten it from another friend of ours, and I have since then shared it with many other friends of mine making it a staple everyday recipe in all our kitchens.


Today I'm cooking from my grandmothers cottage! Isn't it cute?


Here is what you need for this simple, yet delicious dinner dish for 2 people:

Chicken Cream Wok
  • Rapeseed oil.
  • Soy sauce.
  • 3 dl cream.
  • 3 chicken cutlets.
  • Chopped up frozen Asian style vegetables.
    • Sometimes I don't use frozen but chop off vegetables myself. I use what I like, but the most important ones are baby corn, broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, and some bean sprouts.
  • Salt & Pepper.
Chop up the cutlets in desired size. The closer in size the different bites are, the more easy they will be to cook so don't go completely crazy.




Drizzle rapeseed oil in a pan and let the oil varm up before adding the chicken. If you have a wok use it. I'm cooking a my 91 year old grandmother's cottage, she doesn't even know what that is! Had I been at home I would have used one, but truth is it doesn't make the biggest difference.




Season the chicken in the pan with salt and pepper after how much you like. I try to avoid salt, so I just use a tinsy bit. I'm more generous with the pepper. Like with a lot of Asian food, you want full heat under the pan making the frying fast.


While the chicken is cooking in the pan, you can start cooking the vegetables. Sometimes to save dishes I wait until the chicken is done, take it out, cook the vegetables in the pan and add the chicken back in and sometimes I do it like this. It doesn't really matter, end up tasting the same. Again, since this is "Asian" food cook with full heat.


My chicken was done before the vegetables since my vegetables were deep frozen. That's OK. I just put the chicken on the back burner, lowering the heat just to keep the meat warm.


When the vegetables are done, you want them crunchy, add the chicken.


Still on high heat, add the cream and the soy sauce. I use a lot of soy sauce, but the best thing to here is to grab a spoon and add a little at the time, and taste until it's the way you like it.


You want to leave on high heat until the top of the cream starts to foam, like this. Then you can take the heat down a notch. But you want the sauce to boil down to about what it was when you poured it in. Don't worry about the soy sauce, you can more of that until the very end. Also, remember to keep stirring the sauce from time to time and most important don't leave the stove for even a second as cream like milk is a very "unstable" cooking fluid and can boil or burn easily.




While the sauce is simmering, you should start cooking the rice. I like wild rice, which comes from North America, but any rice will do. Prepare as per the instructions in it's package.


When the rice is done, and the sauce is to your liking, arrange it nice on a platter and serve it was something nice to dink. I like diet Pepsi or water.





This really is one of my favorite dishes! I eat it often and have since my friend showed me how to do it in November 2004. It's so yummy, soft yet sharp because of the soy sauce.

I've never met anyone who doesn't like this, although girls like it more then guys do, the whole "guys eat meat" rubbish and this dish is a lot of vegetables. I've made it with chicken like here, pork (which is actually my favorite way to do it), beef or with no meat at all, just vegetables. Just as good, each way. Sometimes I subsitute the rice for noodels, which is also yummy and often I eat it without rice for a carb free dinner!



Let me know if you decide to try it!